The Office for Undergraduate Research is an initiative of the Office of the Vice-Chancellor at the University of Guyana. It is governed by a Director, an Assistant Director and an Advisory Council.
Our mission is to promote and facilitate the engagement of students in research and other creative activities; to demystify research and increase knowledge about its nature and methodologies; and to obtain competitive advantages to pursue opportunities in the workforce and for postgraduate or professional study.
- Enable undergraduate students to participate in research and other creative activities in all disciplines and programmes offered at the University of Guyana.
- Provide opportunities for students to present posters, papers and other research outputs at university, national and international conferences and events; to compete for research funding; and to publish their work.
- Incentivise academic staff at the University of Guyana to mentor students in research and scholarship, and collaborate with them in research and other creative arenas.
- Enhance the competitiveness of students for the world of work and for postgraduate and professional pursuits.
Infusion of Research Skills into Existing Courses
- Incremental research training
Research Engagement Course
- Hands-on research training beginning from year one
- Students in secondary schools
- Students and mentors at the university
- Students from entry to graduation
Spotlight on Minority Issues in Enrollment
- Baseline inventories of our composition
Best Practices in Mentoring Undergraduate Research
- Baseline inventories of best practices
Database of Undergraduate Research Excellence
- Undergraduate research personalities
Support Student Engagement in Research
- Hosting annual undergraduate research conferences across the university
- Publishing abstracts
- Funding undergraduate research and engagement locally and internationally
- Accessing enhanced institutional membership benefits from the Council on Undergraduate Research
Publication of Research
- Annual Book of Abstracts
- Book on Undergraduate Research at UG
- Articles targeting academic journals